Thursday, March 11, 2010

What I did last night...

I hope you'll forgive me for not having this weeks roundup ready today. (I promise I'll post it tomorrow!) They normally take a couple of hours to get together and last night I was too busy working on a surprise project for Jus.
Since he's been working till midnight every day we've only gotten to spend about 5 hours together this week. I wanted to try and do something fun for him.
When we first moved to our house Jus was very excited to have a guitar room. He immediately decided to paint it red and got to work trying to decorate it with concert posters. I can't remember who mentioned it first but one of us said it would be cool to have something unique painted on the wall. We tossed around ideas, drug our feet, and finally quit mentioning it.

But this week I decided it was time, so this is what I did last night...

(10 points if you know who this is)




I am really pleased how well this painting turned out. Turns out I didn't quite waste all of the money my parents poured into an art degree.
Yup, that's right. I was an art major, not the painting and drawing kind (I actually had a drawing professor tell me that the reason my drawings were interesting was my lack of technical skill).
I studied graphic design but a semester away from graduating I realized that I wouldn't be designing the kind of things I wanted to be designing and decided to step away from graphic design, and once I did that I forgot how to use all of the designing programs, and the rest is history.

So what did you do last night?

(Ed. Note from Cole- I wanted to take some more pictures in the daylight last night there wasn't any way to not get the glare. I made a graph on the wall but I freehanded the painting itself. Last night when Jus came home I was sitting on the sofa but he noticed that the guitar room light was on so he went in and ended up doing a double take. He said it was the best present he's ever gotten.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

jimi hendrix! do i get some points??

i love it - did you use a stencil or freehand? because that would be some wicked freehand, my friend!

Lauren said...

Very very cool Cole! Turned out amazing!!

Kristen said...

WOW! How cool is that?! Great job!

Jenna said...

OMG! I can't believe that is freehand! I am always inspired by people with talent like that

I Love You More Than... said...

You are so talented! I