Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Real People in Love: Jenna & Martin

One of the best things about love is the fact that it duplicates. This week's Real People in Love is a prime example of how love expands. Last month Jenna & Martin from The Simple Things had an adorable little girl named Aubrey and they're quickly expanding their love and family.

How old are you & Martin?
I am 24 and Martin just turned 26 on December 11th!

How long have you been together?
We have been married for two years and together for five.

What are your occupations?
I am a district manager for Aldi (a discount grocery retailer) and Martin is a truck driver (luckily he drives local and comes home every night though!)

How did you meet?
We actually grew up about 20 minutes from each other and both on dairy farms, so logic would tell you our paths should have crossed very early in life, but we didn't meet until Martin was in college and I was a senior in high school. I was talking online to a friend whom I showed cows with at the fair and Martin happened to be on his computer. From there we started talking online. We went on one date then, but I wasn't interested and told him we should just be friends. Then, I became very interested in him throughout the next few years and we finally started dating (after lots of miscommunication) in the fall of my sophomore year of college!

How did you get engaged?
Our engagement story isn't anything special, but it is perfect for us. It happened during winter break of my senior year in college. Martin took me out to dinner at a favorite Mexican restaurant of mine. When we arrived back at my parents' house, my mom and dad were hanging around to see if anything had happened (because Martin had already asked my dad). At this point nothing had happened and they didn't let anything slip. My parents went to bed and Martin and I were sitting on the couch in their living room watching TV. Actually, I was watching Sex and the City on TBS and Martin was sleeping next to me. Suddenly, Martin woke up and said that he needed to get a drink and his throat was dry. When he came back he gave me a kiss and asked me to marry him. The rest is history!

Tell us about your wedding day (not necessarily elements but feelings too):
Our wedding day was absolutely amazing! We had the reception in an old hay barn on my parents' farm. My grandfather and I redid the barn right after I graduated from college and it was gorgeous. Just real, simple elegance. All our family and friends were there and it was just an absolutely wonderful time. I wasn't nervous the entire day; I was just so excited. The hairdresser commented on how I was the calmest bride she had ever seen! I just remember smiling so much.

Define Love:
Love is putting someone else before yourself. Love is finding that person that makes you a better person and knowing that for the rest of your life they'll be there to support you just as you're there to support them.

What is the toughest part of being in a committed relationship?
Putting someone else before you.

What is the best part?
The best part is having someone who is always there to lean on. There have been so many obstacles that I look back at and think "How could I have possibly gotten through those without Martin?" Also, having someone to always make you laugh!

What is the best day the two of you have had together?
We have had so many great days together. I think our wedding day is definitely up there. My favorite time of any day with Martin is right before we go to bed or right when we get up. I love just laying in bed next to him and sharing stories about the day or discussing plans for the future.

What makes you different from other couples?
I don't really know what makes us different from other couples. I think our ability to laugh at and with each other is a really special bond we have.

What is your favorite thing to do together?
Honestly, we both work...a lot. So when we have time, we like to do just about anything as long as we're together. But since we just had a baby two weeks ago now we basically just love to sit on the couch and stare at how adorable she is!

Do you have a song?
We don't really have a song. At our wedding we danced to Little Moments by Brad Paisley, but I don't really know if I would consider it our song. Honestly, Martin is really good with music and knows a lot of it and I just sort of listen to it without really retaining much.

What is the most essential element of making it?
Before making a decision always ask yourself, will this make my partner's life better also, or just my own? Don't forget to laugh at yourself and each other.

What are your hopes for the future?
Well, we're moving back out to western New York in the next month or so to be closer to family because I got a transfer from work! So, right now we're really excited about buying our first home!

Anything else the world needs to know about love?
It's amazing!

If you'd like to participate in the Real People in Love series please email me. I'm always looking for great couples to feature!

1 comment:

Brittan said...

What a sweet couple, I love the picture with the tree!

I usually wave pretty frantically so the people see, too. Thank you for your compliments on my work, I really appreciate it! I am trying to have some time to find a place to print some of my work and can let you know if you like. I think that owl will be one of them, still trying to decide weather it needs color or not... what do you think?

Hope the renovations are going well, sounds exciting and tiring! But you will be so happy when it is all done!!!
Happy holidays!!