Monday, January 10, 2011

Another Something New

I've been wanting to do a vlog for a while but wasn't quite sure what to do. When I saw this dialect vlog going around I took a step and decided that it would be a fun project.

The rules are pretty simple, you read through a list of words and then answer a series of questions and everyone gets to hear how your pronounce different words & sounds.

Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting Image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught

-What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
-What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
-What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
-What do you call gym shoes?
-What do you say to address a group of people?
-What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
-What do you call your grandparents
-What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
-What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
-What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

I'd love for you to play along! I think it's so interesting to hear how everyone talks, Jus & I have different dialects even though we grew up in the same area!
If you play along please let me know and I'll add a link to your dialect vlog here!

Katie at She Likes Ruffles, He Likes Truffles
Kelly at KJPugs
Stephanie at Forget Me (not)

15 comments:

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

cole, i love this! i guess i didn't realize just how many things i say the southern way until i listened to you! half of my family is in pennsylvania, so i've "woodur" for water all my life. weird.

jami said...

you are too cute

steph c said...

I did this too! I think my dialect is pretty similar to yours.. I grew up on Long Island my mom is from Michigan and my dad from western PA/Ohio, so if anything, I'm sometimes told I have a midwestern accent.

I also lived in Philly for 5 years and I sometimes let "wudder" slip instead of "water". I hate that I do that, lol!

http://forgetme-not.blogspot.com

Sam said...

I love it! Mine is currently private on my youtube and I am talking to one person in particular, but maybe I'll go edit the video and edit out the beginning so it's not directly to somebody, and repost it! Or... it might be less complicated just to film it again. Haha.

I had no clue there was a word for when the sun is shining but it's raining. So interesting!

Jacquie said...

I love your accent, I say pop too but get picked on lol

Hannah said...

Haha. I think I say water funny because I mix a southern and midwestern accent. They made me go to speech thearpy for my southern accent when I got to Wisco and I think it kinda mixed me up a bit!!

I love that you did the vlog too - my cousin was doing it in the tumblr world and I just knew I had to play along!

And yes, Tebow the dog is a rescue Cairn Terrier! He is the most adorable little pup :)

Chantele Cross-Jones said...

You sound so sweet, hehe. Im gonna do it on the week end coz being british means we say different things and being welsh adds a whole new sound, lol.

Daisy Dayz Home
Cross-Jones-Photography Home

Alyssa said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!!! I'm glad to hear you call them roly-polies too, I giggled when KJPugs said pillbug... and what the heck else would you call a shopping cart, lol!

PS I am envious of your eye makeup skills!!!

Katie said...

Love that you did this too! I linked it over on my blog as well! :)

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! Please can you enlighten me - I have no idea why you'd throw toilet paper on a house?!! Also, I love the way you say caramel! With my Southern English accent my vlog would sound compleeeetely different :)

kate said...

I love your vlog! You look quite gorgeous in this too :)

JANIE:) said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA mine would be RIDICULOUS!!!!!! i can't talk lololol

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I was a Speech Pathology major for 3 years before switching to teaching and I had to take all of the phonetics classes. It makes sense though with where your parents are from :)

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I had to make one because I loved yours!

http://mrsautumn.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-4-and-my-first-vlog.html

Holly said...

Very cool. :) I love this vlog idea! :D