Monday, June 25, 2012

Bump Update: Week 41

Well, I never thought I'd end up at this point. As I sit & write this I'm technically 41 weeks & 4 days which means I'm running out of time to have LBL naturally.

I know I have yet to write about why we chose a birth center & why I feel strongly about having a natural birth but I'm going to try & collect my thoughts and share them soon. Last week we had two appointments (a milestone I didn't realize you met when you hit 40 weeks), the second of which included a non stress test. I got hooked up to two monitors, one checking LBL's heart rate & one checking contraction action, sat in a comfy chair for 40 minutes & pressed a buzzer whenever I felt LBL move.

Luckily LBL passed the test with flying colors (every time I felt LBL move the heart rate went up & came back down but never dipped). I still hadn't made great progress, which was discouraging, but the midwife was quick to remind me that statistically most babies are born before 42 weeks, so chances are LBL will be joining us before Thursday.

It's actually pretty important that LBL joins us before 11:59 PM Wednesday night, as that is the cut off for being able to go to our birth center. If Thursday arrives & LBL is still being shy we'll talk induction, which has me worried, as I know that induction is a good way to insure that some kind of medical intervention will be needed later on during the birth. (I also know several women that were induced & had bad births).

My next appointment is this afternoon & I plan on asking/begging the midwife to consider letting me go until Monday to try and give LBL a little more time to hurry it's booty up!

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Hoping LBL comes sooooon!

Rachel Anne said...

I know everyone is different, but just to help even the score, I was induced with my 2nd and it was fast with no additional interventions, aka a good birth! I wanted to have him in our birthing center too, but in the end, I have my Ham and he's amazing! That's the goal, get them here, healthy, strong, and hopefully smiling.

Here's hoping LBL comes on their own though!

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Cole I have been thinking about you EVERY day. I keep hoping I'll open Facebook to find pictures of LBL.

I sincerely hope that Thursday will arrive with LBL already in your arms and that you're able to have your natural birth.

Kassi said...

praying you get the birth experience you want - natural is best and I am a huge advocate! I'm doing a home birth (God willing) with these twins in the fall...
with my second, my midwife swiped my membranes and Tannyn came the next morning. You should ask your midwife about it at your appt today :)

Alexa said...

sending good wishes your way! and one way or another, you'll have that sweet babe in your arms very shortly!

Becca said...

Totally know what you're going through lady! Both of my boys were stubborn as well. ;) once you hit week 41 it can be so discouraging but hang in there...you know they have to be here this week regardless of how! I was induced with B and we had no complications whatsoever....and I was goin to have to be induced with Buck but she broke my water first which started labor naturally. Don't be scared of inductions if that's what you need to do, it's worth it to have that little one in your arms!
PS: there's no such thing as "bad" birth! It's amazing no matter what! :)

Jessi said...

I'm sorry you're overdue. Just know that most women generally are for their first baby. Hey, sometimes when inductions are scheduled, it scares the baby into coming ;). But I really do hope you birth on your own, as I know that inductions are usually the road that leads to numerous medical interventions as well as csections. I am actually a product of induction and csection too. I do know a few women who have had peaceful inductions and peaceful births so I hope that whatever happens, that you go into it knowing that you are making the best decision for you and your baby. Big hugs!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Hoping he comes soon!