Wednesday, October 28, 2009

When life gives you apples...

make some applesauce.
Which is precisely what I did last night. It's super easy to make and super duper tastey...
So, here's my recipe*
1. Peel, core, and quarter 8-10 pounds of apples, Macintosh are my favorite to use. Be sure to use normal sized apples, I used the teensiest apples EVER.

See?

2. Put apples in a large enough pot (duh) with an inch or so of apple cider (great choice) or water (ok choice). Cook covered over medium heat for 20 minutes. At this point check if you can start smooshing** your apple pieces, keep smooshing until your sauce is fairly smooth, remember this is HOMEMADE applesauce, chunks make for more yumminess.

3. If you wanna make the kind of applesauce we eat around here add 1/2 cup Splenda, one teaspoon of cinnamon, and heavy 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (we like our applesauce pretty heavily seasoned) or just add these spices to taste.

4. Eat it up Jus & I love homemade applesauce warm, cold & with ice cream.

See? I told you it was easy!

My Love for today: Nutmeg, this is definitely my favorite spice. I'd totally be Nutmeg Spice if I was a Spice Girl.
My Happiness for today: The yummy yummy pomegranate I'm eating.

*This is very loose, actually, this is the first time I've paid attention to what I'm putting into my applesauce.
**Smooshing is a very very technical word.

No comments: