Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Real People in Love: Kelly & Alan

A couple of weeks ago I featured the adorable Brandi (& her adorable hubby, Jacob) from Mucho Mucho Bueno Bueno. I knew I wanted to include Brandi's sister, Kelly (& her awesome BF, Alan), in this series as well.
Every time Kelly mentions Alan on Mucho Mucho Bueno Bueno their relationship seems like so much fun, and this interview will NOT disappoint. Kelly sent my questions to Alan and both of their answers are included. Kelly & Alan are so sweet, caring and silly that I'm pretty sure they're the type of couple all other couples are jealous of.

How old are you & Alan and how long have you been together?
A: Old enough. Not near long enough.
K: I'm 22 and Alan just turned 26. We really don't know an exact measurement, but we know we started hanging out (as friends) fall of 2007.

What are your occupations?
A: Visual and audio experts
K: Alan is a Booking Agent and I'm a Graphic Designer. We both work and then come home and continue working, but it's the fun kind of work full of projects we choose to take on. I love working with Alan around because he has a pretty good eye and can always help me with last minute design choices. I give him a lot of crap when we hang out because he is always booking...ALWAYS. The phone never stops ringing and the emails never pause. The truth is I love what he does and that he is so committed. He has all this knowledge of a world I know very little.

How did you meet?
A: Fate's determination
K: We were both taking Political Science at TTU during the summer of 2007. The last project was a debate and everyone had to sign up for a topic; We both signed up for environmental policy (not knowing each other) and were grouped together with this really intense chick. Alan was the calm, cool and collected guy, Miss Intense chick was brainy and well, intense, and I was the spastic one that made no sense during the debate. Alan was sweet and told me it wasn't awful, but I knew better. Anyways, we found out near the end of the semester that we were going to be moving in across the street from each other before the fall semester...very strange.

Define Love:
K: I can't. I have tried typing a response for about twenty minutes. I am not good with words. I'm just going to give a few reasons I love Alan.
I love that I have dated Alan for quite some time now and I still find him exciting. We can be around each other through both of our mood swings and still want to kiss at the end of the day. I love that he just became my best friend over time and he really is the first person I want to tell my good news to. I love that I hate cheesiness, but Alan has made me a complete cheeseball. I love that my nephew can make him smile even though he hates kids. I love that my dog loves him more than me...I guess it's the whole male bonding thing. I love that he makes faces out of the left over food on his plate. I love that he is an even mix between an old man and a little boy. It really is in all the little details.

What is the toughest part of being in a committed relationship?
A: The thought of something happening to my love.
K: Right now it's the long distance. Me and Alan have been trying to get jobs in the same city for almost a year now and we have only seen each other a handful of times since May of last year.

What is the best part?
A: Every day
K: Everything!

What is the best day the two of you have had together?
K: We are in our 20s. If our best day is behind us, I'm worried.

What makes you different from other couples?
A: Truth
K: Our overall goal isn't "to get married." Some people get into relationships and put so much focus on "the big day" that they forget to enjoy the actual relationship part and miss out on getting to know each other. Not saying that's everyone.

What is your favorite thing to do together?
A: Breathe
K: I think everything except using the restroom. haha.
I really enjoy going to shows with him, attempting to cook, hanging with friends, bumming around, making stuff (last time he was in town he helped me fold paper cranes to hang from my ceiling), one time we played basketball in the middle of the night in an empty parking lot between our houses. I just discovered that Alan is the best partner when it comes to Flea Markets. He loves junk just as much as I do and he takes his time to look at each and every little shiny object. I even like working around him. I still haven't got him on a longboard yet...

Do you have a song?
A: We hate music.
K: No, we don't have a single song, but there are a ton of bands that remind me of Alan and take me back to a specific moment or time/phase in our relationship. Between listening to his radio show and going to shows that he booked, these are the bands that mostly remind me of him: Two Gallants, Misfits, Neko Case, Thao With The Get Down Stay Down, One Wolf, Fiona Apple, M83, A Faulty Chromosome and The Diamond Center.
Then, there is the first mix CD he ever gave me (fall 2007) titled Shit Talker and it included: Josh Rouse, A.A. Bondy, Alela Diane, Bon Iver, Deer Tick, Thrift Store Cowboys, Lucero and more, but my list is getting long :)

What is the most essential element of making it?
A: The will to survive.
K: Respect and communication. Everything else is easy, but those two suckers tend to be tricky. Alan is good in both areas. I have come a long way in the communication department, but it's still something I have to work hard at.

What are your hopes for the future?
A: A more eco-friendly relationship.
K: That we maximize awesomeness. In the near future we are planning on moving to Nashville. All the other hopes are too cheesy to leak out.

Anything else the world needs to know about love?
A: The world needs to learn how to love.
K: Love should be fun and unique. The most dangerous thing you can do is compare your relationship to someone else.

PS If you're interested in participating in this series or have a blogger you'd love to read about email me or leave a comment and I'll be glad to include you!
PPS Don't forget to sign up for the Brown Paper Packages gift exchange!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I love this series, so cute!

I always think it is funny how guys have short, simple answers and us ladies tend to have longer more detailed answers!

Caroline said...

What a great couple!! xo

raveninthewolfden said...

how lovely. Id love to participate.. if ya got room for me!

email
meomy.socialbutterfly@yahoo.com

ps. im your newest follower!

Tillie said...

Oh how cute! I love his answers they made me giggle.

Anonymous said...

they are def a unique and super cute couple! they totally make me laugh!
b

Kassi said...

wow, i totally thought i commented on this.
kelly and alan make such a great couple. i loved that he participated in this and answered some questions... his responses were so funny.
and kelly is just the cutest little thing ever. love her
super unique and fun couple

great job picking them cole!
great job answering kel and alan!

Sharon Lei said...

What a fun series!! Totally love it. :)

xx Love & Aloha