Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Real People in Love: Elizabeth & Mike

A couple of weeks ago I was stressed that I wouldn't have a guest blogger when Elizabeth graciously stepped up to the plate. Elizabeth is the voice behind This Close to Eloping and is an engaged gal who isn't afraid of the truth.
I know I feature a lot of engaged couples but I love to feature all sorts of couples! So if you'd like to participate just shoot me an email!

How old are you & Mike?
Mike is 23 and I am 22, our birthdays are a year and five days apart. (In May, so coming up!)

How long have you been together?
We have been together a year and a half.

What are your occupations?
Mike is an IT student and a bouncer and I am a fashion journalism student and receptionist at a salon.

How did you meet?
Three weeks after I moved to San Francisco, I flew back to be in my friend's wedding. This was September of 2008. Then, I was what I like to call a "make-out hussy." I was not looking for a boyfriend and loved my flavors of the week. I was the last bridesmaid standing up for my friend.
I made a great impression on my now fiance's family the night of the rehearsal dinner. Jet lagged and lost, I rolled into the field where the wedding was held an hour late. They were already lined up and ready to walk back down the aisle. At the rehearsal dinner I was officially introduced to my now fiance, Mike. He was the one mooning us on the way to the hotel and eating the whole entire shrimp: tails and all at dinner. He seemed like a goofball. Strangely enough, I wasn't attracted to him when I first met him, I wanted to get to know the Best Man.
The day of the wedding, I was still jet lagged and exhausted from sleeping on the floor. The wedding was perfect, beautiful and we couldn't have prayed for a better day. All that was left was the dinner and dance, where I was pretty positive I was going to get to know the Best Man.
Mike was a total sweetheart, but I wasn't really into it. He was rather drunk at the wedding, with his groomsman gift, a beer stein, always full. After his attempt of trying to teach me how to line dance, I went to find the Best Man.
The Best Man was drunk enough to not care about who he was with, but I thought I really wanted to be with this guy. Mike's last attempt before I got to the Best Man's hotel room was when he asked me if I was ok. I said yes, just as the Best Man was dragging me up to the hotel room. We made out and he tried to unzip my dress. After he revealed that he didn't know my name, I knew I had to leave. Mike walked in just as I was zipping up my dress and walking out. Mike wasn't done trying to flirt. His last pick up lines were: "I know your name, ELIZABETH" and "I am a bouncer at a bar" I gave him my number. He gave me his.
I flew back Monday and on my way back on the BART to the city, I texted Mike. It was the best decision I ever made. (Mike, however, thinks that he didn't use the bouncer line)

How did you get engaged?
Mike and I went to Vegas for our first real vacation together in May of 2009. It had only been about eight months of dating so I wasn't expecting anything. On the second day of our trip he suggested we go to the Eiffel tower at Paris Hotel. After an amazing lunch at Margaritaville, we went back to the hotel to get ready for Paris. Just as we were about to leave, Mike told me that he forgot his wallet and to wait in the hall. He came back out and said he was ready to go. We got to Paris Hotel and got our tickets. At this point I was a little suspicious, so I tried to search his pockets for a ring box. I couldn't find one. We slowly went up on the tower on the elevator. I am scared of heights, so I was starting to hyperventilate. When we got to the top, we got off and stared to look around. The view was breathtaking. Then Mike started to talk "you are so beautiful and I love you so much" (this is when he pulled out my ring) "and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" I feel to my knees, so he didn't get to get down on one knee. But he picked the ring out himself and picked out where he was going to propose. :)

Tell us about your wedding day (not necessarily elements, but feelings too):
We aren't married yet, but I cannot wait to get married to my best friend.

What is the toughest part of being in a committed relationship?
Compromising, he is the first boy I lived with and sometimes things can bug me (like dirty socks!), but I always think how I can't live without him.

What is the best part?
Always having my best friend there. he knows how to make me smile when I am down, knows when I need a foot rub and knows how to read me better than anyone.

What is the best day the two of you have had together?
The day he proposed I was so happy, we had the best day and night. I was so happy that I have pictures on my Blackberry of the drinks we celebrated with.

What makes you different from other couples?
I have never met a couple that has made it long distance, moved in within two weeks of moving back to the state and gotten engaged five months later. It's pretty fantastic.

What is your favorite thing to do together?
We love to have sushi dates, he hated sushi before he met me, now we have it at least twice a month.

Do you have a song?
She's My Kind of Rain by Tim McGraw. He said he was listening to it at work and it made him think of me, just as he texted me this (I was still in California) it came on my iPod.

What is the most essential element of making it?
Say I love you every night, no matter what, even if you're angry.

What are your hopes for the future?
Hopefully our wedding date goes perfect, or kind of perfect, we both find jobs in our related fields and we get Warhol (our cat) a brother. We want a doggy, and a house would be awesome too! But even if we are happy and healthy, I will be content with that.

Anything else the world need to know about love?
I used to be a non-believer. Love will happen when you least expect it, it sounds cliche but it is true. I am living proof.

3 comments:

Sam said...

That's a cute love story :) I love that you tried for the best man so much while Mike was eager to get your attention. Congrats on your engagement!

Elizabeth McMullen said...

Thanks! Thank God he was persistent!!

Tillie said...

oh oh oh how sweet!

my latest post is dedicated to you missy! check it out :)