Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Real People in Love: Krysten & Dustin

Since I'm going to be posting every day there was no way I could not continue my Real People in Love series. This is definitely one of my favorite parts of blogging, and I hope you enjoy it too!
This week's Real People in Love are Krysten and Dustin from After 'I Do.' If you're not familiar with Krysten you are definitely missing out. Krysten is so open and kind on her blog that it's a joy to read and you immediately feel like her friend. So when you get a moment hop on over and check After 'I Do'!

How old are you & Dustin?
We're both 27.

How long have you been together?
We've been together over 5 years.

What are your occupations?
Dustin does IT for a company called Red Wing Software (they basically make accounting software for companies) and I work part time at a clothing store called Maurice's and I'm a full time student studying sales and marketing.

How did you meet?
We worked together. He was the shift leader at Perkins restaurant and I started as the hostess there during my 3rd (normal) year of college. So technically he was my boss (but not really because I like to say that a shift leader is really just a glorified hostess).

How did you get engaged?
Well... I kind of knew it was coming. You see, Dustin HATED shopping at ring stores so he ended up ordering my ring online. UPS left a note on our door saying they couldn't deliver the package because it needed to be signed for in person. I got the note, Googled the company and found out it was a jewelry company. Ugh, I'm so bad at surprises!
Anyways, the next day Dustin said he was staying home from classes (since he had to be there to sign for the ring). So I went on my way, sitting through classes and wondering what was going to happen. At the end of the day I was walking home, sweating my butt off and angry that Dustin wouldn't come pick me up. I finally make it home to find him standing outside our apartment all dressed up, with flowers in one hand and a note in the other. The note sent me on a scavenger hunt throughout our apartment, leading me to other notes that had important memories from our relationship written on them. The last note told me to go to the living room, where Dustin was ready. The whole time I was walking with these gorgeous flowers that were in a vase. So we both sat on the couch and I put the flowers on the floor... and they immediately fell over, getting water EVERYWHERE. Of course I'd have to do something like that!
Despite that, my poor nervous hubby was able to tell me how much he loved me and that he wanted to be with me for the rest of our lives... and he proposed with a beautiful three stone sapphire and diamond ring!

Tell us about your wedding day (not necessarily elements but feelings too):
I always say our wedding was goof and silly, just like us. We spent the entire day giggling and having fun and being our normal, silly selves. Even the ceremony itself was full of laughs and I'm still surprised that I didn't shed a single tear (and I'm a big crier). The entire day was just filled with happiness and love and fun. It was totally us.

Define Love:
Love is when you find someone that you can be totally 100% yourself with, have fun with, love with and get through the hard times with.

What is the toughest part of being in a committed relationship?
Not getting stuck in a rut. We've been together 5 years now and sometimes it's easy to just do the same thing day in and day out. You need to keep things exciting!

What is the best part?
Having someone that I can be totally open with. Before Dustin I found myself in relationships where I played a certain part and hid pieces of myself. With him I can be completely me and he loves me because of it.

What is the best day the two of you have had together?
We went up to Hayward, WI to do our engagement pictures, which is where my parents live. My parents were gone so we had the house to ourselves for the entire weekend. We didn't do anything ridiculously special (aside from our pictures, of course) but it was so fun to be alone in one of our favorite towns with nothing to do but hang out. It was so carefree and chill and I loved it.

What makes you different from other couples?
We giggle together. Not just laugh, but giggle. We can be such children sometimes but that's what makes us special and I love that part of us.

What is your favorite thing to do together?
We love having movie marathon days. We'll stock up on junk food, hang out in our PJs and watch movies all day long. It's a great chance to hang out together while we indulge in our sweet tooth (teeth?).

Do you have a song?
"You and Me" by Lifehouse. It was the song that was playing all the time the summer that we finally started dating and it's the song we used for our processional song at our wedding.

What is the most essential element of making it?
Laughter. If you can find a reason to laugh together each day you can get through even the hardest times.

What are your hopes for the future?
My hope is that we continue to grow together and go on to raise some wonderful kids and just keep our family going.

Anything else the world needs to know about love?
Don't settle. If you're with someone that doesn't make you feel 100% awesome then don't be with them. Because when you find someone that makes you feel simply amazing... well, it's an incredible feeling.

As always, if you'd like to participate in the Real People in Love series, just shoot me an email!

9 comments:

Aubrey S. said...

What an awesome couple to feature!

Scientific Housewife said...

What a great post! Krysten is one of my penpals and I love her!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Thanks so much for featuring us lady!

k said...

krysten, this was such a great interview and so fun reading about you guys - you guys are way cute :)

Ashley said...

Awww thats so sweet!! :) I love Hayward, WI. My aunt lives there and it's beautiful! What a cute love story :)

<3 ash

Amanda said...

I love reading her blog. I also laugh with my hubster every single day!

Lauren @The Little Things We Do.... said...

i heart krysten and dustin. they're so cute! glad you featured these two :).

Signe said...

Aaw, such a cute interview, loved learning more about you and Dustin Krysten :)

Stacey said...

Such a great interview! Krysten and Dustin make a gorgeous couple too:-)