Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Easiest Project Yet

After we finished painting the bathroom we realized that there was a gaping hole left in our renovation, well, technically two.

The teeny tiny windows in the master bathroom are at the height that turn getting into the shower a bit of a peep show.

Cafe curtains, while cute, would look too vintage, I wanted modern looking window treatments to counterbalance the tile. 

I considered getting sliding curtain panels from Ikea, but they would have been too big and I considered making my own panels, but I didn't want cloth panels. I realized that I could get my desired look by etching the windows but was hesitant to etch the window considering I would be stuck with the design I chose.

Luckily for me I struck gold at Target last week. As I was walking down the seasonal aisle these polyurethane place mats caught my eye.

With a frosted background & bold pattern I knew I had to try these out.

I measured our windows and cut the mats to size.

I slapped on some double sided tape (just in case I want to change them in a month).

And stuck them to the windows. And the finished product? I couldn't be happier.


The total project cost just $3.96 plus tax and I plan to keep my eye out for any new styles of polyurethane place mats Target offers so I can change the look. But for now I am absolutely LOVING the look of the bold pattern mixed with the subway tile.

What's the easiest DIY you've ever done?

20 comments:

Amy said...

What a great idea!!

Kate.Showalter said...

Love this!

Becca said...

so creative! Have you ever read Young House Love? They recently did the same thing to a glass door but used the clear contact paper...it looks like frosted glass but can come right off!

Annie said...

Sooo cute and simple. Love it!!

KillerKaro said...

You are so creative! I think it really helps to make the room :)

MeaganLikesIt said...

Cute!

I just bought the lamps in that same pattern in cobalt blue. Obsessed.

Deidre said...

It looks great! What a simple solution.

PS I love your list in the previous post!

e.louise said...

I love this! What a great cost-saving, easy solution! *bookmarking*

Emma9405 said...

Brilliant!

My CoCoon Vintage said...

That is soooo crafty. They look great. Very impressed I must say!

Meghan said...

This is phenomenal! What an awesome idea - it looks great!

T J Wentz said...

Too cool and I love how you think outside the box!

lyndsay @ Mr & Mrs said...

these look awesome! i didn't know that the frosted applications come with modern designs! so cool!

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

cole, i will be forever jealous of your tiled bathroom...i've ALWAYS wanted one! can i just come live with you? haha!

great work on the wondow treatments, and they look like they were made for your windows!

The Blonde Duck said...

I can move pictures around. That's the extent of my talents!

Katie Baba Nielson said...

genius! i would have never thought of something like this! it looks great.

steph c said...

You're a genius. I don't think that would ever occur to me.. they look just great!!

rachelinaustin said...

That's awesome, and very creative! I love that look!

xo

MJ said...

Very cool. I am not much of a DIY-er, but I want to start!

Lissa Clair said...

That is one of the best ideas I have ever seen!