Thursday, May 5, 2011

Roundup: May Flowers (for your garden)

Now that rainy April is over it's time to start reaping the benefits with armfulls of flowers.

One of the strangest parts of buying a foreclosure is what pops up in the garden. We have peonies next to chives and asparagus next tulips. I'm anxiously awaiting what blooms and eager to plant some flowers.

One of the most coveted wedding bloom grows from a bulb.

We're lucky enough to have three big Lilac bushes along our fence.

Such bright flowers need to grow in abundance.

My favorite floral arrangements come when I pick some Peonies and stick them in a mason jar.
PS To make your Peonies last longer add sugar or Sprite to the water

The only thing prettier than a closed Tulip is one that opens once it's brought into a warm house.

Another pretty wedding bloom is available in bulb form too.

I think I need to add some of these along our fence.

Flowering bushes are my favorite.

These spheres of color would add a graphic quality along a fence or garage line.

The only bad thing about my favorite flowering tree is that they don't flower all year.

Roses can look traditional and romantic.


I love the variety of colors Dahlias come in.

I always planted Begonias in our first house's window boxes.

I know I've missed a ton, what are your favorite flowers?

9 comments:

Brittan said...

oooh, great post, cole!!! i love all of these and many of them are my favorites!!! i can't wait for my peonies to bloom and lilac is on of my favorite fragrances, I wish it could be bottled naturally (instead of a synthetic fragrance)! i am so excited right now because my bleeding hearts are starting to bloom and I loooove those!!!

ErinMSW said...

Oooh, I've never seen Allium, but I love it! I'm looking for something for a new patch of garden (thanks to my husband nilly-willy ripping out some ivy!). Might have to look into those! Also, did you know that peonies need all those little ants that are always crawling all over them? The ants' saliva (or something) is what causes the peonies to bloom! Fun fact from my mom, the uber-gardener.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Okay we seriously need to have more of ALL OF THOSE here. It's still so dreary here!

Sarah said...

I love this flower post!

I used to work in an office that overlooked a field of rununculus (and the ocean). Spring was the most wonderful time of year.

I also have an anemone tatoo AND tattoos of cherry blossoms. What can I say, I <3 flowers.

kate said...

ranunculus are simply a favorite. I had a million in my wedding bouquet. le sigh.

Katrina said...

I'm jealous that you have a lilac already planted! and that dahlia is spectacular.

I kind of want a viburnum. they smell so good!

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

My favorite flowers are sweet peas and hydrangeas--so much so that they both were in my wedding bouquet :)

That dahlia is especially stunning!

Layla said...

You had me at dahlia.

Sandy a la Mode said...

ohhh soo pretty! i LOVE peonies!! don't forget to check my blog today, there's a special surprise for you!! :)