Wednesday, March 14, 2012

We're having a....

Baby.
Every time anyone asks if we know what LBL is I respond that we know it's a baby and that's all that matters.
Many of you have asked how we're doing with not finding out, if it's making it harder to prepare and if we regret it.

And I can honestly say that we don't. One benefit is that we're only getting one ultrasound and that time has come and gone so I can't help but feel that we've missed our chance to find out.
But really, preparing for this baby would not be any easier if I knew if LBL was a girl or a boy. In 15 weeks we're going to be embarking on something that we've never done before. Jus and I haven't had to change a diaper in years, we get full nights sleep and we can be selfish with how we spend our time. In 15 weeks our lives will be controlled by a little person that screams, poops it's pants & thinks sleeping at night is overrated.
While there are times I wish we knew LBL was a boy so we wouldn't have to agree on a girls name or I wish we knew LBL was a girl so I could buy lots of summer dresses that's the only time I wish we knew.
Decorating the nursery has been fairly easy as we're sticking to a primary color scheme that works more within our house than within a gender. Gender neutral onesies are harder to come buy but we've found plenty of yellow, green, red & grey that I can play up with tutus or bow ties.
If the little person that joins us in June is a girl we'll be waking up in the night to feed her, learning how to comfort and care for her and trying to figure out how our relationship will evolve to include our darling daughter.
And if the little person that joins us in June is a boy we'll be waking up in the night to feed him, learning how to comfort and care for him and trying to figure out how our relationship will evolve to include our darling son.
You get the picture, right?
Either way Jus & I are going to be out of our comfort zone, learning something new and interacting with our child.
So why not let this be a surprise. It's out of our control and I can't wait for that day in June when I look at Jus and we finally know that our LBL is exactly the little boy or little girl that was meant to join our family and our lives.

10 comments:

Chantele Cross-Jones said...

Your quite right, it doesnt really matter girl/boy its still the same. only difference is youll know what colour to paint the nursery or buy baby grows! I have said when we are pregnant I wont want to know either, its a nice surprise! My parents never found out and I think thats the way to go. Hope your well!
Daisy Dayz

Why Girls Are Weird said...

I don't think I chould choose to not find out because I HATE surprises. I'm too much of a planner. But kudos for you! And I'm so excited for you both =-)

Jenna E said...

We weren't planning on finding out but at our ultra sound the woman gave us a picture of the babe legs. Naturally while going through them I had to zoom and try and see if I could figure it out. I am 79 percent positive I know the gender but could still be surprised :p

But yes, I totally agree with this post!

Amy said...

I actually made a noise when I saw the title of the post, but was slightly disappointed that it wasn't actually a reveal.

I am sooo proud of parents that hold out. I really don't think I'll be able to do it because I'm a major planner. I'll either do one of two things if I find out.

a) have a really cool gender reveal party
or
b) keep it a secret between my husband and I.

I lean towards B because if I was having a girl I don't want people to buy me fru-fru dresses. I hate them so much and people just feel this need to buy them... that way at the shower it'd be all gender neutral and I could privately shop for the girl style I enjoy.

Stephanie said...

We didn't find out either! It bothered others much more than it bothered us and it was definitely worth the surprise on C's birth day! At times I wanted to know and swore I'd find out with #2, but delivering C as a surprise made me want to keep any future babes a surprise as well! Life gives you so few true surprise moments, take them when you can! :)

Whim Wham Life said...

true true! boy or girl, it'll be one loved little bubba! xoxo

kate said...

perfect description and reasoning and defense and general post! i love that you're not finding out- it's what i plan on doing as well when the day comes. for me, it harkens back to the day when we couldn't know the gender and there is something so lovely and mysterious about it. cheers to LBL, boy or girl!

Clare said...

I think this is a great outlook on it. That's what my husband and I plan to do for our first child at least. There are few times in life where you get a true surprise, and this is one opportunity for that. Excited to find out in 15 wks!

elissa said...

i love this. when i have kiddos one day i want to pass on finding out the gender. why does it really matter? and a little mystery is always fun!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

That would Bo so hard for me but not the hubby!